As the AT Provider, you agree. But what does the execution of this plan look like? Do you send a laptop to the school and your done? Obviously, no
In my schools I think about a series of steps.
- Touch base with your Technology Specialist. Let him/her know you are bringing the laptop to "their" school. They hate being asked to help with a random issue for a computer they had no idea was in the school. (This is just professional courtesy).
- Confirm the printers the student needs to access are working with the laptop.
- Confirm the wifi functions on laptop.
- Schedule time to meet, preferably with the student and a Resource teacher.
- Train student/teacher how to use whatever word processor they are using. It may be that the teacher will be providing on-going training. If so, make certain he/she is comfortable with this task.
- Facilitate the setting up of folders for organization, (eg; Math, Science, Etc...).
- Train student/teacher on saving/opening to/from specific folders.
- Make certain there is a plan in place for when/where the student will use the device.
- Ascertain whether or not the student will carry the device throughout the day, do they have/need a valise.
- If the device is staying at school, where will it stay, who will be responsible to keep it locked up?
- Have a plan in place to follow up with student success/issues.